Healthy Holiday Habits!
Meats. Cheeses. Breads. Cookies. Pies. Cakes. Chocolates. Whether you have diet restrictions or not, holiday buffets can be daunting. Over-indulgence can lead to brain fog, fatigue, a bloated stomach, and most of all, regret. We’ve all been there. Whether you feel compelled to honor tradition through your meal or are letting loose to treat yourself, too much can be detrimental to your mood and your health.
Guess what? You don’t have to sacrifice your health for the holidays! What can you do to ensure a satisfying yet not overly filling experience?
- Eat a hearty breakfast the day of your holiday festivities.
- Engage in some sort of physical activity to get your metabolism geared up.
- Try something new!
- Make your own dishes to pass, especially if you have diet restrictions.
- Encourage your friends and family to try your creations! There are plenty of recipes out there that cater to all sorts of diets. Branch out!
- Start new traditions that are geared towards your idea of a healthy holiday.
- Maybe instead of celebrating with traditional treats, find ways to incorporate natural sweets like dried fruit and honey.
- Start a mindfulness practice to ensure you stay present during stressful holiday buzz.
If you do happen to go overboard with the carbs and sugars, don’t be hard on yourself. Know that you have the control to get back on track. Here’s a few tips to ease the pain and guilt the day after you indulge.
- Be nice to yourself! The deed is done. You celebrated and had a wonderful time with family and friends. You’re allowed a little gluttonous activity once in a while.
- Drink plenty of water! Start the day with warm lemon water to stimulate your liver to start processing out toxins.
- Have a green juice or smoothie!
- Drink an herbal tea such as ginger or peppermint to ease stomach discomfort.
- Stay away from heavy foods – especially more holiday food!
- Focus on easy to digest nourishment like soups and cooked vegetables.
- Do some stretching and go for a walk. Any movement will help move things through your body.
If you struggle to maintain control over the holidays, consider joining us for our Wellness Anywhere Retreat in January. Over the course of a week we will completely reset and renew our minds, bodies and spirits. Full of raw, vegan meals and cold-press juices plus support and encouragement along the way, this retreat will give you tools to take back control over your eating habits.
Holidays should be enjoyable, even if we do use them as an excuse to splurge a little. Remember that this time of the year is meant to bring us together, share love, spread joy and look forward to new opportunities in the coming year. Eat, drink and be merry!